I’m slowly working my way through my hoard of fabric. For this project I decided to use a lovely wool/cotton blend, I picked up a few years ago while going crazy in Fabricana with my mom and aunt. I decided it would be a perfect winter dress, being warm and colorful – and thumbing through my patter collection, decided it would be perfect for New Look 6968.
It’s an old favourite of mine and I’ve made quite a few variations. This time I decided to stick with version A (minus the cap sleeves) as I love the pleats? tucks? how exactly do you refer to them? along the neck line.
I decided to be a perfectionist with this one. I wanted it to fit perfectly. As a result I became quite familiar with my thread pick (puller?thingy-ma-bob?). I hummed and hawed over the exact placement of the darts, removing them, moving them slightly, and resewing. The result was, if I do say so myself, perfectly fitted bodice (which matched the side seams and notches of the skirt – triumph). I didnt have enough of the fabric to make the lining the same, but after routing round my fabric pile, I found a nice, similar weight and feel fabric, which you can just see peaking out of the armholes in the photo below (although its not visible when I am wearing it).
I made a rather drastic detour from instructions however, as I decided I didnt feel like doing facings on the next. I went off course on step 11: “With RIGHT sides together, pin lining to bodice at arm hole edges”. Instead I pined and then stitched the lining to bodice at the neck. I pressed, clipped the curve, ironed inside-out and right side-out. Then I pined the lining to the bodice at the arm hole edges. Once sewn you kinda just pull it right side-out. Not quite sure how to explain it. Its a technique my mom explained to me in one of our long distance skype tutorials as its a sneaky little trick that works one most lined dresses provided the shoulders are at least 2 inches wide. I’ll take photos next time I promise.
I was a bit nervous about fitting the zipper as Mabel (my trusty me2) is no more – no longer surviving on stroofwaffles and Gouda her body no longer represents mine. With a lot of weird angles of posing in the mirror to see what needed to be taken in tight, and what needed more slack, I managed to get the invisible zipper in in the 1st go! And it even looked nice, the top of the dress lined up (I admit this is a bit of a feat for me and I’ve been know to permit a wonky non-lining up zipper to walk out the door). The waist line doesn’t entirely match up, but its not terrible and I decided to let it pass. I also attempted a blind hem with my machine, which did take a few attempts to get right. Lesson to self – iron hem before photographing.
So on the whole, I’m pretty dam happy with it! Its nice and cosy, well fitted and smart, but colorful! Perfect little winter dress (with a cardigan and pair of tights of course).