As soon as I had made my last Laurel dress, I was inspired to make another. This time in black but with a rainbow of ric rac along the bottom. I planned to make this dress in time for my office Christmas party and although I sewed late into the night before the party, the dress lacked a zipper, hem and the all important ric rac bottom.
And so it has languished for the last two weeks, waiting to be finished. Having missed the Christmas party I decided I’d make it my Christmas dress. And here we are at the 11th hour, at last done.
I made a few minor changes to it, based on lessons learned from the last time. I lowered the apex of the front darts about an inch and for the side seams instead of the standard 5/8th seam I used 3/4which brought in it just a tad, but enough to make it feel slightly less like a sack. There’s a few things I’d like to go back and amend when I have a minute – smack dab in the front, the pink ric rac (which is the top of the five) is much further from the blue, than the others so it looks a bit gaping. Also the shoulder gathering is a bit over kill – especially if my arms are not at my side (as the photos wills show).
I admit I broke my no new fabric rule and picked up a like black cotton something-or-other at Walthamstow market along with a lining. However both fray like hell and as a result I’ve had little back threads adorning the carpet throughout the house for weeks. As the lining seemed extra slippery, I really struggled to ensure the underlining was an exact fit with the dress and no lumps or bumps appeared.
But in the end I think it’s really worked well and looks pretty dam cute. I’ll post some pictures when I in-house photographer returns from his secret Christmas shopping trip.