Number 2 of my New Year’s Resolutions was to fix or refit previous projects that weren’t quite right or don’t fit. I figured that before my resolve disappeared in the excitement of new projects I’d get started with my ‘Repair Shop’ what I hope will be a long series!
First up is Colette’s Jasmine blouse v.2 which I made about two years ago. Having succumbed to the tantalizingly cute quilting fabric (which I am sure is the death of many a good project), it is I admit holey unsuitable for the pattern and too heavy. But with wear, the fabric has softened and its not so bad.
I had done a pretty good job of making the shirt – finished my seams nicely, the notched cuffs done so well and pressed it oh so carefully. But as with all Colette patterns the apex of the dart is too high on me and I failed to alter when I first made it. So I want to lower the apex about 3/4 of an inch and shorten it about 1/2 an inch. Not a terribly hard alteration except that I was going through a french seam phase so there is quite a lot of unpicking to be done.
To start with I unpicked about three inches of the outer side seam, starting an inch above the dart. Then I unpicked about two inches of the inner side seam, followed by the dart itself.
Then I double checked where I wanted the apex (comparing to the pin the presented the old apex). In the end I dropped it about 1.5 inches and shortened it about 1/2 an inch. Pressed – I double checked and thankfully it is in the right place and looking good. So I finished the side seam and repeated on the other side.
So in leess than two hours I have what essentially is a new shirt (given that I haven’t worn it in ages because of the dart) – and its pretty dam cute. Not perfect I admit but nearly. Not bad for a Sunday evening.
For the time being you’ll have to take my word for it that the darts work now,as my in-house photographer has buggered off to Germany for a few days and despite my best efforts the self timer failed to deliver.