Today I wore my repaired Colette Jasmine blouse – I really love it. It felt so great to have a ‘new’ top that I decided to spend the evening repairing another blouse, this time Colette’s Violet blouse (v.2 – with the mid-length sleeves).
I’ve actually made this pattern a few times now, and contrary to my experience with most Colette patterns, the darts are actually in the right place for me. In fact this one fits pretty dam perfectly. But I don’t like the sleeves gathered at the hem with elastic. They seem to big. By big I don’t mean a size too large, I mean when I would look down at my arms, it felt a little like I had flotation devices around my elbows (ok that’s an exaggeration). Also the elastic annoys me and with the gathering it looks silly under a cardigan (which I wear a lot of). But I’ve made v.1 (the short sleeves) and love them. So my second project for the repair shop is to redo the sleeves.
The blouse is made out of this gorgeous Liberty lawn which I picked up years ago at one of the London Knitting and Stitching shows. I think it is amazing. And I really geeked out, doing self covered matching buttons too!
First I took the sleeves off which required about an hour or so unpicking, because when finishing the seam, my zig-zag went over the edge (making it quite challenging to undo) and unpicking the seam.
Luckily the shorter gathered sleeves require ample less fabric which means after a good ironing, I could lay the pattern piece on my newly detached sleeve pieces and re-cut them.
And presto – a few seams later my new, sleeves are attached and my blouse is ready for work tomorrow. Another successful repair job, this time in about 2.5 hours.