Since Thursday night I have been in a state of heightened excitement, planning my execution of the cotton trousers with invisible side zip in 3 hours. I’m aware that even just planning probably contravenes some of the spirit of the challenge. But hey ho. Yesterday I walked up to Raystich on my lunch break to pick up Colette’s Clover, the closest pattern I could think of to the sewing bee.
Obviously its got a waist band (which requires some hand sewing), applying of interfacing etc so will be a little longer than during the bee (I’d say 1/2 hour extra required?). It also needs fabric with some stretch to it, so no pure cotton trousers for me. I didn’t find any fabric that tickled my fancy or was suitable for the pattern. So early this morning I headed up to my favourite shop in Walthamstow Saeed’s Fabric. Where I ended up get a very lightweight, 5% stretch denim. In my head I had planned some sort of bold print, but there wan’t anything that appealed. So for £12 I got two meters of it.
I rushed home to throw in in the wash/dryer to make sure it doesn’t shrink drastically. But I’ve since noticed that it is probably going to fray quite a bit so am considering doing flat felled seams on the sides at least. Hmmm I sense I am going to be pushed for time. Perhaps I should give myself the goal of 4 hours?
While the fabric was in the wash I set out cutting my pattern out, and folding it down to the correct size (as I’m pretty sure the contestants all made the same size and didnt cut the size out in their allotted time.
Pins poised, scissors at the ready, machine revved, egg timer set: go!
4 hours and 22 minutes later my Colette Clover trousers are done. At the 3 hour mark I was ripping out my zipper for the second time. First because I did it on the wrong side, then again because I mismatched the waist band seams.
It was I’ll admit, probably the least enjoyable Saturday afternoon spent sewing ever. For my first pair of trousers (or capris) ever, they’re not too bad. All the seams are felled so they are certainly not going to fall apart. But I gave up on bothering to had stitch the waist band facing. The photos aren’t much to look at but I suppose the fit is alight. I’m feeling quite dejected. Perhaps I shan’t try another one of the challenges.