Pretty much since it got started, I’ve been following The Monthly Stitch. I loved the idea of challenges, have found it a great way to discover bloggers but had yet to take part. That, I decided was going to change in the New Year. So in December or January, I voted with excitement for what I thought February’s challenge should be.
I have to say I was a little disappointed to discover that the challenge was going to be Solid Colors. I mean, that’s kinda boring and nothing new for me, as I tend to swing, project to project, from solid colors to wild prints and back. So I was pleased to see Miss Bossy put in an appearance – the long and the short of it is, the color you are suppose to sew with, depends on your first initial. You can use your second initial, if you really hate the color.
Just so happens I got red. Which was pretty good challenge for me as I don’t wear a lot of red and just so happen to have some red bamboo jersey that’s been screaming to get used for a few years now. After a few days humming and hawing over what to make, I remembered the Lady Skater Dress. I decided it was the perfect pattern for the fabulous red.
After some struggles in printing and assembling the pattern I got round to the sewing bit on Sunday. I mistakenly thought it was going to be a piece of cake.
BAM my internet crashed and took out the rest of my detailed blog. Gone are my witty, self depricating comments on the patter and sewing the dress. All I’m left with is a bit of bitching. Feel free to jumpt to the end and see mypretty pictures.
The long and the short of it was that I struggled to figure out the instructions, maybe it was a particularly dyslexic day, but there was a melt down, temper tantrum and stamping of feet:
Adding the neck binding was a particular mind fuck (when attempting to follow the instructions). Matching the centre of the binding to the centre front, means that half the front has too much binding, and the other half of the front and the back don’t have enough. Grrrr. I read the instructions. Reread the instructions. Smoked. Drank tea. Googled it. Read. It still doesn’t make sense to me.
Using transparent elastic in the seam allowance confused me, as it wasn’t entirely clear what use it was in the seam allowance. Obviously later on it does explain that it keeps the fabric from distorting but to begin with I was just confused about its purpose.
Anyway, it was all particularly frustrating 4.5 hours. The results are ok if you don’t look carefully.