Bed-sheet muslin – McCall’s M4769

17 Apr

I’ve been anxious to get going on MCCall’s M4769. Although I’ve had the pattern for a few years, I never quite found the right fabric. But the bird print I picked up at the Knitting and Stitching show last month was it. And good timing too as this months challenge is ‘Put a bird on it’.

But as I’ve been reading online reviews of the pattern and attempting to work out which size I would be (Bust 34″= size 12; Waist 30″= size 16 & Hips 38″=size 14), I quickly realized I really, really should do a muslin before cutting up my gorgeous favorite new fabric.

As I never get around to buying fabric with the intention of sacrificing it, my new strategy is to use old sheets. Though I admit this is my first real muslin I’ve made – with every intention of scrapping at the end.

Because it’s the torso that is my main concern, I’m not going to bother with the skirt. Also as the patter only covers size 8-14, I’m using size 12 for shoulders, arm holes, neck and bust. And the 14 for everything else. I’ll see as I sew it  if I need to use a little of the seam allowance around the wait to give my tummy a bit of breathing room. To grade the sizes on the bodice front and back, below the darts on the front (and the equivalent height on the back) I’ve gradually eased  from 12 to 14.

First up are the darts in the front of the bodice. The bust darts I’ve made on a size 12 and the waist darts a size 14 (although actually the waist darts are the same for the two sizes). Same on the back.

Front and back joined at shoulders and sides – no issues.  I’ve decided that I plan to use bias binding on the armholes – so I skipped the steps about attaching armhole facing.

Then I hit the collar and front facing, which I admit took quite a bit of thinking. Each step, the diagrams and what I had in front of me didn’t quite match. I got there in the end, it wasn’t terribly clean though but it made me glad I was playing with bedsheets not my lovely bird fabric.

Then I tried it on. Bust fits. Waist fits – though perhaps I may sew it on a 1/” seam just for a touch more breathing room. But above the bust there seems to be a tad bit more fabric than needed. Maybe this is because I haven’t bothered finishing the armholes (as they previously seemed irrelevant to the fit). And the more I look at pictures of other people’s creations of this it doesn’t seem 100% smooth  over the top of the bust – so maybe the touch extra is really a combination of no finished sleeves, the front facing isn’t actually finished on the inside and I don’t know what else.

Either way, I’m happy enough to proceed and feeling quite glad I’ve had a practice run.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

JUST PATTERNS

Sewing Patterns, helping you create a wardrobe of clothes you will cherish forever!

mumokio

A record of my sewing in 2016

Sew sleep deprived

Lesley blogging about her sewing projects

Wendy Ward

designer | writer | teacher | maker

wasted weekends

misadventures in crafting.

Self Assembly Required!

DIY Dressmaking with Emily ❤️

mensew

One mans adventures in sewing...

swarm of chickadees

a sewing blog with a nonsense title

dreaming of avonlea

We'll begin with a spin, travelling in the world of my creation - Willy Wonka

Pigeon Wishes

Learning to sew and delearning compulsive shopping habits

Pickledowndilly

From one stitch to another!

Emma and her Machine

Adventures in Sewing

HazelJae Designs

My adventures in fashion design

Lulu Learns

Creating, Crafting, and Catching On.

Belle Citadel

In pursuit of craftyness

%d bloggers like this: