I was, I’ll admit, initially relieved that IPM2015 and all the contests were finished. I had entered every contest in June and sewed 6 items in less than 4 weeks. But in the first week of July I began feeling restless and impatient to be sewing something again. I decided to make another Peter Pan collar version of the Datura blouse (this will be the 3rd) from Deer &Doe as that pattern was all cut out, had yet to be put away and with summer blazing all around it’s my favorite new top.
I rooted through my stash of scraps (my scrap cupboard contains a real mixture of literally tiny scraps and larger pieces). I pulled out this gorgeous silk I got in India last year. I have of course forgotten the name, but I do remember being told it wasn’t a silk/cotton blend as I had initially thought, though it is of a similar weight. I loved the color and feeling. I even had a vaguely matching thread and buttons that would do perfectly – I love it when I don’t have to buy a single thing for a project.
Problem was I didn’t really have enough so I had to be quite creative in cutting out. I ended up having to line the yoke front and back with scraps from my first (black) Datura blouse. The collar was cut semi on the bias as it was the only way I could find enough fabric for it, and as a result it’s a little wonky.
I quickly realised the fabric was going to be tricky. Perhaps that is an understatement. I quickly realised the fabric was going to be a bloody nightmare. Not because it is slippery (which it is not) but because on a regular basis my machine needle snags on it, leaving me with a pucker, a whole, a run…. You get the idea I’m sure. For the most part, these can be ironed away or teased out, but the finishing isn’t as smooth as I’d like.
I was interrupted mid project as my iron had a melt down. And by that, I really do mean melt down. It started exuding black smoking and the smell of melting plastic was quite prolific. The ladies on the Monthly Stitch Facebook page were great providing me with lots of suggested brands and models. In the end I got myself a Rowenta Steamforce. I really didn’t want to just buy another old piece of junk so spent ages comparing specs (dear god) and reading reviews. Fingers crossed I made the right decision.
Coming back to the blouse a week later, it was frustratingly slow progress because of the snagging issue and it became a catalogue of things going wrong.
- While I had every intention of using french seams, I forgot on the second side seam. So I have one side seam with a french seam and another which just has pinking and zig-zag.
- Top stitching the yoke was less than perfect and I probably should have done the finishing by hand given the problems I was having with the fabric.
- The buttons which I know are large looking were actually quite light weight, but not light enough. The weight distorts how the back hangs.
- And the hem nearly had me it tears as it kept snagging and bunching up on itself. Despite continuous reworking, smoothing etc it is not a pleasant sight.
In the end, I have to say I was more than a little relieved when I finished. Without close inspection it doesn’t look too bad, but it’s not nearly as well done as my previous two and has left me feeling quite disappointment.