Last year I made myself three new years resolutions:
Use up my ‘new’ fabric. Hmmmm – I’m afraid I went on two massive fabric binges this year (despite the fabric buying ban). But aside from that I have done, errr, fairly well at slowly using my fabrics up. But if I’m honest I’ve probably added more to the cupboard than I’ve taken out.
Fix previously botched/ill fitting projects. My repair shop was quite busy in the spring when I fixed and repaired four items. But then there were so many new and wondrous projects that needed making, I didnt really have time to repair old stuff.
Knit a cardigan. I got started and knitted with abandon. Till I abandoned my project just when I got to the sleeves. I keep meaning to get back into it but failed for the previously stated reason.
This year my new years resolution is to challenge myself to try new things. Some of my favorite things this year came out of challenging myself to do new and scary things. That’s were the magic is right, along with the monsters that live in my sewing cupboards. These are the top 5 challenges I’m setting myself to conquer this year:
1. Bras. All year I have marveled at Lladybird’s wonderful bras and she’s really inspired me – especially one post on tips and tricks. I’m particularly drawn to the Boylston Bra and the Marlbourgh Bra from Orange Lingerie, as well as the Jasmine Soft Bra from Ohhh Lulu. So my first resolution is to make my own bras!
2. Coats. Back in June I won the Robson Coat pattern from Sewaholic. I’ve really really meant to make it in time for fall, perhaps I’ll make it in time for Spring? I have been a little daunted by printing and assembling the PDF pattern which I imagine to be quite encumbersom – I havent even looked that’s what a coward I’ve been. So my second resolution is to get my ass in gear and make it (I already know what fabric I want and everything).
3. Jeans. I want to learn to make jeans. Jeans that fit well. And are the perfect length. And the exact right color of denim. I’m thinking Ginger Skinny Jeans from Closet Case.
4. Cardigans. I need more cardigans in my life. Especially me made cardigans. The main impediment to me doing so is my lack of familiarity with the right types of fabric – weights, amount of stretch etc.- to make the Jenna cari for example from Muse Patterns or the Cabernet Cardigan from SBCC – both of which are high on my wish list.
5. Sports wear. I already have the blog post title in mind – I just need to overcome the fear! I really want to make myself some cycling shorts and tops from Fehr Trade. Eeek sewing with spandex?
So there we have it the five things I’ve shyed away from all these years. Plus of course finishing knitting my cardigan, endeavor to empty my fabric cupboard, and repair all faulty items in the closet (or give to good/fitting home – hehe see my pun there?). Oh and maybe buy a new sewing machine?
What are your resolutions for this year?