Back when I first met G. he had this simple black shirt, with a Japanese collar, that he looked quite dashing in. In it, he quite swooped me off my feet. But that was almost 8 years ago and the shirt has long been assigned to the rag drawer. Err well it should be assigned to the rag drawer. So to celebrate our anniversary at the beginning of February I decided I’d make him a new one. I sewed this up in mid January but didn’t have a chance to photograph him in it until to day.
I picked up some lovely crisp black Japanese poplin from the Cloth House in Soho along with some great little buttons. I used McCall’s M6044 which I love. I’ve made G. numerous shirts from this pattern such as this short sleeve version in a liberty print. This time I made Version B but obviously not adding the full collar. Its a great pattern to use while I get more comfortable with my new machine. And has given me ample opportunity to try out new presser feet and try to features.
I got to break in my new edge stitch presser foot – it’s the first time I’ve ever used one. I used it on the pocket, cuffs, neckband, and front facing, and the results were amazing! It almost feels like cheating being able to now do such even stitching no wobbling away from the edge now.
Because I wanted the shirt be be extra sturdy, I used flat felled seams on the shoulders, on the sleeve seam above the sleeve opening and on the armholes. Because the main arm seam and side seams are stitched in one go, I used a french seam but then top top stitched over this on the main body.
Then I got to try the BEST feature on my sewing machine: automatic button holes. What a dream. I’ve always been disappointed in my button holes, wanted to hide them as they were never perfect. No more shall I fear. The memory feature means that once I’ve done one the correct size, my new machine remembers and does it automatically. Hallelujah!
Anyway, it came together beautifully, fits him wonderfully and he looks as dashing as he did all those years ago.