When I was at the Knitting and Stitching show back in March, I came across Sew Over It’s stall. I wasn’t familiar with them but I immediately fell in love with their Silk Cami pattern. While last week I was all about sweatshits what with this being dreary cold England and all, this week I’m all about summer clothes as I’m sunshine, holiday bound next weekend.
I decided I needed this top in my suitcase, so I finally got round to buying the PDF pattern and whipped up my first. I used this lovely Lawn cotton I got that the Knitting and Stitching show.
While the PDF pattern was a very easy to put together, I still would prefer to have the real deal. I’m always nervous the the tiniest inaccuracy in my taping of pieces will result in a catastrophic failure when transferred onto my fabric. Size wise I faced a bit of a dilemma as my measurements fall between the 10 & 12 for the bust, and exactly fit the 10 for the waist. So I decided to make the bust size 11 (essentially draw in the lines) for around the bust area but grading to a size 10 for the waist, neck and shoulders.
Alas this didn’t work out too well. Something is just a bit off: a touch tight across the apex; a wee gaping along the front of the armhole; an awkward sitting on the upper bust. I think ultimately its too small and I should have gone for the size 12 all over. But I’m of two minds as to whether this one should be donated to someone smaller or if i’ll actually wear it.
I’m a bit disappointed as I love the fabric and the cami (when its not on me) – I’m drawn to its simplicity and the curved hem. I think I’ll have to have another go, trying size 12.