As my disappointment with my last Silk Cami wore off, I puzzled over what to do next. I think that it was just a touch too small, so the logical step was to try again – this time making size 12. I rooted round in my sewing cupboard for some fabric that, I’d be happy to wear if it worked out, and wouldn’t be upset if it didn’t. I found this Liberty silk which I got on sale years ago. Part of me feels terribly frivolous testing out the size 12 on Liberty silk. But it only cost £4 a meter and its a bit of a funny print which I’ve neither love nor hate.
I decided to forgo finishing my seams until I got a better idea of the fit. If it worked out well I figured I could go back and at least zigzag down the side seams. And if not, there wouldn’t be so much unpicking before a rejig. Out came my lovely Merchant & Mills entomology pins and a universal 60/8 for my machine (my Microtex needles have gone walkabout).
Silk has proved troublesome for me in the past, so I approached this one with caution. But I had no problem sewing the side seams or the facing on. What proved tricky was turning the facing to the inside and pressing it nicely. Having tried it on and decided it was good enough to progress to the end, I moved on to the hem, where I tried out for the first time a ‘baby hem’ following the instructions in Colette Guide to Hemming. It wasn’t a good choice – the hem is now pretty whimsical.
So final verdict – the size 12 fits well across the bust but the top is much too big. So it pools a bit on the back neckline and the front gapes awkwardly. I think, as several of you kindly suggested on my post yesterday, I need to use the size 10 with a Full Bust Adjustment (FBA). I know I should embrace the challenge, but it seems like a lot of work for such a simple pattern. Especially when I have other patterns in my stash that require no adjustment. It also seems somewhat ironic that I, the small busted one in the family, am in need of a FBA.