Before summer disappears entirely I thought I’d get in one last summer blouse to com: the Airelle Blouse from Deer&Doe. I last made this blouse a few years ago – a sleeveless version and a 3/4 sleeve version. I never was 100% happy with either of them however- the fit was off and they’ve been long since taken to the charity shop. But after having made so many Datura blouses in the last year I thought I’d revisit Airelle.
Straight way I saw that previously I’d made size 40/42 (bust/tummy)- while my current measurements fit a 38/40 (bust/tummy). But knowing that I made the 38 for the Datura regardless of what size the waist measurements indicate I should make, I thought I’d have a go at a straight up 38. I knew that I wanted a sleeveless version without a collar, so began picking through my fabric collection.
I pulled out some embroidery anglaise I used for the yoke of my Ruby dress last summer and knew that it would be perfect for the back yoke. So then proceeded to try and find something to pair with it. In the end I chose to use this pretty floral I picked up for a screaming £1 a meter (down from £15) in the Boxing Day sales at John Lewis. I thought they’d look quite dainty together. I’m not overly fond of neck facings at the moment so opted to use self made bias binding on the neck and armholes.
I’m really pleased with the results – size 38 was definitely the right choice and I love the fabrics together. You’ll have to excuse the selfies however – my resident photographer seems to have a paid job which is more important that fanning my sewing/modeling ego.