A few years ago I picked up this beautiful habutai silk in India for only Rs 570 a meter (approx £5.50). This week I pulled it off the shelf to make myself a silky Buchanan dressing gown, from gather. I had planned to make the dressing gown out of some other fabric I recently got from a colleague, but alas I totally screwed up when cutting it out due to a combination of feather-brain and problematic fabric.
Having made G. a silk robe earlier this year, I knew I had to approach this carefully. I vowed to take my time and proceed with the utmost caution. The pattern directions certainly helped with this, as each and every step is explained in detail with corresponding drawings.
I finished my seams mostly by zigzagging, although I used French seams for the shoulders, and a blind hem. I realised however that I didn’t have any matching thread, so the top stitching is a slightly off green, but I think it works. It was slow going as every stitch required a lot of pressing. I found using the steam of the iron (rather than actually ironing) much more effective for removing wrinkles on the body of the robe. But it did come together like a charm, and I absolutely love it!