Seeing as Spring is in the air, it seemed like the perfect time to make myself something whimsical. And I had the perfect fabric all lined up. My sister bought this cotton print for me after she found me mooning over it in Saeed’s fabric store. I knew exactly what I wanted out of it – a sleeveless button up shirt with collar and bright red buttons. And that is what I set out to make.
I’ve used Burda 7136. It’s been a long time since I’ve sewn anything other than Indie patterns (so I’m feeling spoiled with hand-holding instructions). And it has probably years since I’ve sewn a Burda pattern. It is a straightforward enough top and luckily I had my sewing wits about me as there are a few things that really niggled me in the instructions. Such as instructing you to baste a seam but never, in subsequent instructions, telling you go back and stitch to seams….
The pattern is described as ‘semi-fitted’. To start off with I spent ages trying to find the measurement chart to work out which size I wanted. In the end I used one online only to discover the the measurement chart is on the tissue pattern. Based on the measurements I cut out size 14 – which corresponds to a 36″ bust. Half way through I based the side seams together to get a sense of the fit. And while the front and yoke fit quite nicely, the back seemed much too big. After a bit of thinking I decided to increase the size of the darts – ultimately adding a 1/4″ extra to the darts seemed to take it in the right amount. This created a nice fit across the back. I am really pleased with the fit across bust and waist, but after using self made bias tape to finish the arm holes (instead of using sleeves) the upper bust leaves a little more room that desirable. I mean I’m happy with my top and all, but next time I’m debating whether I should reduce the upper bust/shoulders a size as it gapes a bit.