G. has been after me to make him some new shirts for a few months now. To be fair most of his shirts that I’ve made him (which now dominate his wardrobe) have been patched and mended and re-patched and re-mended. He really is in need of some new shirts.
As McCall’s 6044 is tried and tested and much loved, I really see no reason to try a different pattern. As usual I’ve made version C, this time out of an indgo cotton chambray from Dragonfly Fabrics. The fabric washed really well and feels very soft.
There isn’t too much to say about the construction of the shirt – the pattern is quite straightforward and instructions are easy to follow. I used French Seams on the sleeves and sides, and flat felled seams on the shoulders. I tried to infused a little creativity by using a different fabric for the facing of the collar band and cuffs. The chambray bird print I used to make my McCalls 4769 dress seemed complimentary to the polka dot both in color and texture. But I forgot to change my bobbin to a light blue, so the stitching is very obvious on the inside. But I still think it looks pretty good. I think one of my New Year’s resolution will be to branch out from the staple men’s shirt and make more menswear (#makemenswear).